Tuesday, August 12, 2008

No skiing today!...

This week the "Olympic Mountain" is wearing green grass and wisps of fog twine around its peak.

This is the site of the skiing events for the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Snow had to be trucked in from Canada for some of the areas in preparation for the 1980 games. That winter was unusually mild, with very little snowfall.


This gondola sits at the entrance,...




In a few months these ski slopes will be deep with snow. Eager skiers will be riding the lifts to the top and grinning with joy as they come down the mountain. My 10 year old grandson will be one of them! By Thanksgiving all skiers' roads will lead to Whiteface Mountain.

6 comments:

Michele said...

I'm actually looking forward to winter... I'm NOT a summer person by all means! LOL... I hate heat.. bah! Fantastic pictures... I know plenty that speak of skiing already!

Unknown said...

We went up to the top of Whiteface once when we were visiting Lake Placid. Unfortunately the weather was bad and the entire top of the mountain was completely covered in fog - no good views that day! :-) I liked your pics from Whiteface better than mine! :-P

Phill said...

Ditto what she said, LOL! Not a Summer person at all. If I had my way, it would be Fall or early Spring all year long.

Oddly, I have never going skiing at Whiteface. I've been on the gondola during the Summer a time or two though. When I'm driving down Route 86 near our place, I can see the opposite side of Whiteface - from all the over past Saranac Lake. It's always sort of neat to think "there's a bunch of people over there having fun on top of that thing>"

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Beautiful photos! A real treat, thanks. I have never been north of Old Forge.

Cedar ... said...

Thank you! For those that haven't been to the Adirondacks in the tri-lakes region, or the Champlain Valley,.. come on up/down/over,... the welcome mat is out!

NorthCountryGal said...

It's fun to get all these tours of your region. There is always something interesting on your site. Judy