Sunday, January 4, 2009

Who's Been Walking on My Deck?...

It seems that my resident birds have been pacing back and forth waiting for me to fill the bird feeder this morning.



Here is one of the two I keep filled... This has thistle seed in it. The other one has sunflower bits in it with suet holders on each side. Each group has stated their preference. The Goldfinches and the Pine Siskens (!) prefer this one. The Chickadees and Bluejays prefer the other one that hangs in the carport.



This morning's gang... I have a few Pine Siskins mixed in with the Goldfinches. They eat twice as much and are very territorial.


Here are two more suet feeders that I hang from the edge of my eaves, a very bad shot of a beautiful woodpecker enjoying supper just before sunset.




I enjoy them and I never begrudge the money spent on birdfood!


12 comments:

Michele said...

I wish I had a big enough patio to do hang a bird feeder, I would do that as well...
I love those little footprints!
~Michele~

Anonymous said...

I love the birds too! We feed only sunflower seeds, but especially in winter I put out lots of them. We get finches, juncos and chickadees mostly, but lately there has been a towhee around. They really do reward us for the food, don't they?

Denise said...

I'm a bird watcher, too. Up at our cabin, I'm known as the 'woodpecker lady'. I love the sunset pic of your Hairy woodpecker. I don't have any Pine Siskins, not for a couple of years.

corin said...

Love the woodpecker! That is the interesting part is getting different kinds of birds to frequent your feeders. My nephew would love to have a woodpecker coming in to his feeders.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Perfect set-up Cedar.. I am so glad that I have all of my feeders on or near my deck---so that I can see them all from inside. It's so much fun watching the birds.. AND--for you, with your weather, it's very important that you feed your birdies this time of year.

By the way, I love your header. GORGEOUS!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

RamonaGrigg said...

Happy New Year, Cedar. Love your pictures. We've been traveling and are finally in our "home away from home" in South Carolina. I miss the snow already, even though I did my share of complaining about it. I especially miss the birds at home. Just before we left we had a flock of finches at our feeders. A welcome surprise!

Shelley said...

You have some great views from your windows! Love those little birdy snow prints - they're so delicate.

Pam B said...

Aren't birds the neatest creatures? I love watching them too!

Melissa Weisbard said...

I love the bird tracks in the snow.

NCmountainwoman said...

In the summer, we often have the birds waiting for us to put out the feeders. Not so much in the winter when daylight comes so late.

Laurie and Chris said...

We love to hang birdfeeders. The birds are so fun to watch. We aren't sure what kind alot of them are but they are fun to look at.

troutbirder said...

Your lucky pine siskins are a big rarity here. Nice photos. We love our deck feeders as well.