Thursday, June 4, 2009

35 Years and Counting,...

The word is out, Ethel's is open! Ethel's Dew Drop Inn, which opened in 1974 is celebrating 35 years of serving hungry people! Ethel's is a summer eatery in Willsboro, NY. Until early fall people will be flocking to Ethel's for some of the best food in the North Country. These people are ordering both food and ice cream.

That's Ethel herself behind that screened window taking an order.



What is my favorite on the menu? A "Michigan" of course! There are many recipes for the sauce. Since I was a teenager, my order is always "michigan, onions buried, fries and orange soda"... Here I am about to enjoy my first Michigan of the season... Mmmmmm, good!


A nice evening is taking your food "to go" and driving a short distance to the boat launch on Willsboro Bay. It's early for a lot of boats but there were already a few moored. One person was just bringing his in from a day on Lake Champlain.

Looking in the opposite direction from the launch ramp the sun sparkles on the water. In mid-summer this area will be full of boats anchored for overnight as people vacation up and down the lake.
Back home again... my wild daisies are blooming right outside my carport...


And a lone buttercup keeps watch...

What a perfect evening, good food, beautiful lake, and wild flowers!
P.S.... I may not be online for a few days as I hope to be leaving for a camping weekend today or tomorrow. See you soon!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice series, Cedar. You caught the spirit of spring in the Adirondacks very nicely. LOOK OUT! Here come the tourists!

NCmountainwoman said...

I absolutely LOVE hot dogs so that looks like a place for me! Nice photographs. Have a wonderful time camping!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Here the "flavor" of the summer is clams. Those favorite little "shacks" open for the season and the locals flock. Have a great weekend camping the scenery is just beautiful.

Char said...

there is something about being at the lake that makes food sooo delicious!

enjoy your trip.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect evening indeed, Cedar! Your photos are lovely, and that hot dog sure looks delicious. :)
Have a wonderful camping trip!

The Retired One said...

The lake is gorgeous, especially with that little mountain in the background!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

YUM Cedar... I have never had a "Michigan" hot dog--but it's very similar to ours. The chili may be different---and we always put our onions on the top.. Sometimes we add shredded cheese... Then there are other things to put on a hot dog (slaw, relish, mustard, mayo, catsup)..... ETC ETC ETC... ha

I've never heard the term, onions buried, before. NEAT....

Sounds yummy!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a wonderful summer! Have a great camping trip!

Carolyn said...

Great post, I love the old burger joint that we used to stop at on the way up to the cottage. I have been around to see if it is still there for about ten years but it always had the best burger and shakes.
Have great fun camping.
Blessings and smiles

Tammie Lee said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful meal out. Hope it was as yummy as you remembered.
Such a sweet buttercup!
Have a great weekend!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Oh! Can I come with you camping and then we'll go to the "Dew Drop Inn?" It looks so inviting through your photos. Beautiful scenes! Grizzly went camping without me this weekend. The bum.

Yolanda said...

I so love places like this.Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Michele said...

Have a nice time camping! It's raining here, not good for camping at all.

Shelley said...

A "Michigan" sounds good to me! Loved all your photos today! Hope you're enjoying good weather this weekend.