Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Goodbye Clarence,...

It was with sadness that I read about the passing at age 104 of an Adirondack icon, Clarence Petty. I had the privilege of his acquaintance a few years ago when he served on the board of an organization where I was employed. He was an amazing man, always ready to chat and tell stories of the Adirondacks. The photo above is from an internet search, published on Flicker by "storycorps." I think it shows that famous twinkle in his eyes,... thank you "storycorps" for sharing such a great shot of Clarence with all of us who loved him.


The NY Conservationist ran a story about Clarence in their February 2009 issue. There he is on top of an Adirondack peak, one of the many places where it was natural to find him. The cover photo for his book, Extraordinary Adirondack Journey of Clarence Petty shows him in a guideboat. No matter where he was, speaking before large groups, at his desk writing a letter to legislators in support of conservation, paddling across a remote Adirondack lake, or flying his plane, he was one of my heros. A "hero" with a capital H! Goodbye Clarence, I'll see you out on the land...

14 comments:

The Silver Age Sara said...

I didn't know about Clarence but he sounds like an amazing man who will be missed. I'm off to learn more about him now.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow----a man who lives 104 years is pretty darn special, Cedar. My father-in-law is 97... Wonder if he'll make it to 104????

Thanks for sharing with us the life of this amazing man.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was looking for some real information on Clarence and his life - thanks. What a neat guy.

Char said...

what an amazing life

Genny said...

What an amazing man. I wish I'd had the chance to know him. It's a wonderful picture.

Carolyn said...

Touching post Cedar. It is always sad when we lose our elders.
Blessings and smiles

Anonymous said...

It's always sad to see a person like that leave us, but the memories of him will most certainly last a long time.

A New England Life said...

What a bittersweet ending. So sad to see him go but so lucky you were able to know such a great man. Finding any person, man or woman, of such character is difficult these days.

Bless his heart, he surely leaves a great legacy.

NCmountainwoman said...

Moving tribute to this fine man. Thank you for telling us about him.

Beth Niquette said...

We are losing our storytellers. How fortunate that he was able to make such an impact upon people. How wonderful that you were able to meet him.

A beautiful tribute to this sweet man.

Nina said...

I just read about this amazing man. He has left a legacy for us to protect and enjoy. I know that when I hear a bell this Christmas, this Clarence has gotten his wings. Thanks for letting us know about this wonderful man and his passion for all things nature. Blessings to you and yours. Love and Light, Nina P

Shelley said...

104 years old is impressive! Sounds like he would've been a great person to know!

Robynn's Ravings said...

I will have to follow your link when I get my next chance to sit down and read. I'm so behind with my friends right now I'm amazed I have any! Been out visiting in blogland all morning. I will link my nephew to this as well. He's at Cornell in his senior year and plans to go on to law school to become an environmental attorney. He wants to protect what God has given us. I bet he'd love to meet Clarence. :)

Thanks for sharing, my friend, and sorry to be so ABSENT!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute. How lucky you were to have met him and seen that twinkle in his eye in person. Thanks for sharing about this beloved legend.