Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Trip To Our Past,...

Sunday morning a friend and I set out for a day trip to Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Museum. Heading south on I-87 the view to the west is Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant Mountain.


The sky was overcast and the air chilly. Unfortunately the fall foliage was not looking its best under those conditions.


As we headed west on the Blue Ridge Road this pond looked dark and forbidding rather than bright and cheery as it would have under a blue sky.

Arriving at Adkirondack Museum,....


After arriving another friend joined me for lunch in the museum cafeteria. This view was at our elbow as we sat next to the vast windows in the dining area. I recommend the cream of turkey soup! Perfect for the dreary day.


One of my favorite stops is the Sunset Cottage. This sleeping cabin was part of Camp Cedars, designed by William West Durant for his cousin Frederick Clark Durant. The "twigging" decoration is a favorite style for cabins and furniture of this vintage...in the late 1800s. Twigging has enjoyed a revival and is widely used by Adirondack camp builders and furniture makers today.

How enjoyable to read a book and relax by these windows.
But this narrow bed does not look very comfortable!
A closeup of the twigging decoration.
After enjoying a visit to Sunset Cottage there were many other attractions to see. I'll have more for you tomorrow,.... to plan your own visit visit the museum's web site:

13 comments:

NorthCountryGal said...

Everybody should have a cottage like this.....I am thinking of building a small retreat and this inspires me. Thanks, Cedar. Your friend, Judy

Phill said...

I really do believe the Adirondack Museum is one of the best museums I have ever visited (or repeatedly visited), including all of the huge museums in NYC. It is really an amazing facility. (The boathouse and the vintage cabins that were moved there are my favorite.) Glad you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

What a joy! My grandfather had a camp right on the lake when I was a kid. He was a charter member of the museum, so we went often.

I haven't been back in many years, as we are camping when we're in the area, and always have the dog with us. Alas, she's not welcome at the museum, and we can't leave her alone at the campground.

Do they still have the hermit's cabin inside? I remember listening to their recording of an interview he did many years ago on WGY. He kept saying, "Don'tcha know," and sounded just like my grandfather!

Thanks so much for posting this. I'll be eagerly waiting for more.

Michele said...

This is a beautiful post, Autumn is definitely in the air there and the cottage is very nice... I'm just slowly getting around to the blogs... baby steps and I hope to be back soon but I want to say thank YOU for dropping by my blog and the support and lovely comment for my illness and accident... I really do appreciate it.
{Hug}
~Michele~

Cedar ... said...

Judy,... the dimensions of this little cabin might be 12' x 12', truly just a sleeping cabin. But it was bright with natural light, even on a cloudy day.

Cedar ... said...

yes, CM, the cabins are my favorites, too. That's why I picked this one to lead off my blog this week. It was Harvest Festival weekend, so this trip I focused more on that. But i always head for Sunset Cottage first.

Cedar ... said...

Akagaga,... what a joy growing up must have been with a camp on that beautiful lake. I was so hoping for a sunny day for that amazing view from the windows of the diningroom. Yes, the hermit's cabin is still there. Noah John Rondeau's cabin, the Mayor of Cold River! Maybe you can find someone to puppy-sit so you can catch a few hours there again!

Cedar ... said...

Michele, I'm so glad you are well enough to be catching up with your blogging "family",.... we're all anxious to hear of your continued gains in strength and good health. I'll catch up with you back on your blog soon!

Anonymous said...

It's very interesting to see things from your part of the country! I especially liked the wood inside the cabin and the terrific view from the Museum! Gorgeous!

Cedar ... said...

Montucky, that view of the lake and islands is one of my favorites. I was disappointed that the weather was dreary. I have a better shot of it from a year or two ago that I'll dig out and post before the end of the week.

Donna McNicol said...

Beautiful photos...thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to visit that area again...

Cedar ... said...

Donna,... when you two get to the Adirondacks next time send me an email and we'll be sure to connect and say hello!

RamonaGrigg said...

Love that twiggy cottage. It's exactly why I seek out the unique Adirondack Camp style. Here in Michigan we have log cabins and more log cabins but I've only seen a few imitators of that particular style from your neck of the woods. How clever those people were. I'm glad so many of them have been preserved. I hate to think of the ones that haven't.